This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
5 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes
We all seem to be short on time and ideas when it comes to dinner. Children rushing in and out, doing homework, going to sports practices, parents rushing home from work. The slow cooker has been around for many years. I remember my Mom first using one over 30 years ago. But this is not your Mother’s slow cooker anymore!
There are so many different slow cookers out there. From 2 to 8 quart, you will be sure to find one to fit your family. All different colors, programmable or manual. I use a slow cooker that has a chalkboard surface, like this one. I can write on it and and everyone in the house knows “what’s for dinner”.
My Favorite 5
These 5 recipes are made very frequently in our house. They are tried and true, even my picky daughter loves them all.
1. Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup – you can find the recipe on baked by rachel’s blog. Now, I cook about 5-6 pounds a chicken every 2 weeks and shred it. I throw about half in the freezer and the other half stays in the refrigerator. I add about 2-3 cups of shredded chicken for this recipe instead of the whole chicken breast. I also double this recipe, since I have 3 teenagers in the house. It is absolutely delicious and is even better after the second day, after all the spices set.
2. Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast with Vegetables – this recipe can be found on Magic Skillet. The only ingredient I leave out is the whole onion. We are not big onion fans in our house, so I substitute with some onion powder. This is terrific on a cold winter’s day after sledding or skiing. Pair it with some delicious bread with your local bakery – YUM!
3. Honey Soy Pork Tenderloin – check out Carrie’s blog at Eating on a Dime. She has some fantastic recipes and I use a bunch. I serve this over white rice and it has become an absolute favorite in our house over this past year.
4. Bourbon Street Chicken – recipe can be found on My Fridge Food. Instead of chicken thighs, I use shredded chicken again. I also make sure there is a little more liquid and try to thicken it before serving over white rice. Another hit in our house!
5. Crock Pot Chili – can be found on Carrie’s Eating on a Dime blog (yes, I love her recipes!). Since we are a family of hunters, I often substitute venison burger for the ground beef or turkey. Chili alongside some hot cornbread or homemade biscuits, can’t get much better!
So there you have it, my favorite slow cooker recipes. Enjoy!